Friday, May 15, 2009

Shades of Black


I guess most of you know about the One drop rule in The States. That consider any person with any trace of African ancestry as black. I think it's in some way a dilemma. Why label people too much, with rules? Do we even need rules to tell if someone is black, white, asian etc? Arent we all humans? In this way I think this rule is crazy. But in other hand... I think you all should be proud of the african origin & roots. And you know: Black is Beautiful, so if they wanna label you black, be proud! :) (Do I sound like a so-called "wigga" now??? LOL) But I mean, there are so many shades of black, and all are beautiful in there own way. Light skin, brown skin, dark skin - black is beautiful! 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not familiar with the one drop rule. This is happening in the US? How do I find out more about this? Who do we contact to protest it?

Shirl in the City said...

As far as I know, no other country experienced anything like slavery. Slavery in America was like the Holucost in Germany, but it lasted centuries longer,was a hell of lot more detramental on the psyche of most black people and there is no video documenting it. The one drop rule is just one of the vestiges of slavery.

There is so much that has to be considered about the HUMAN experience and all the events and circumstances that got us here.

Peace and blessing.

Conquistador said...

I am white and I am proud of my african roots as well, thank you very much.

FunkyStarkitty50 said...

The "one Drop Rule" was put in place to promote White purity and to not confuse the "Pure" Whites with the people of mixed African/European ancestry.Why can't people just be who they are without being labeled or put in a box? I don't want my boys to have to go through with "identifying" themselves to people or having to choose sides. I want them to be viewed for their personalities, not their ethnicity. Maybe that is wishful thinking?

Anonymous said...

You know, if the "ONE DROP" rule is correct, and ALL PEOPLE started out in AFRIKA! then migrated to other parts of the world, then ALL People are of Afrikan Ancestry!

Anonymous said...

Have things really changed? Is President Obama a black man with a white mother, or a white man with a black father? Obviously, self-identity has a part in it, but, reminiscent of the one-drop rule, even today we tend to label mixed race people as black.