Friday, August 14, 2009

"Yes, if you are..."


Read this chat conversation with Ryanair's CEO, Michael O'Leary (Ryanair is one of the larger airways companies in Europe). And when he got the question "Do you have a job for me?" this is the answer he gave: "Yes, if you are single, female, blonde and very attractive..." What's up with that???! Seems like this guy is prefering the limited stereotypes. This is a crazy comment - reading it between the lines, it's like he is saying the staff in the cabin crew can't be black women. 

But I've travelled with Ryanair two times. And once I saw this beautiful black woman working in the cabin. I wonder what she thinks of the comments her boss is putting out.

More black women to Ryanair!!! :)

From: destination.se

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think his comment was meant as a joke description of a mistress. The rest of the comment, "... but just don't tell my wife." was my indication that the comment was in reference to a mistress rather than an employee.

blackisbeautiful.se said...

Yeah... maybe you are right, but this guy seems a bit weird... and why couldnt he had said: "Yes, if you are single, female, black and very attractive..." :D

Anonymous said...

"why couldnt he had said: "Yes, if you are single, female, black and very attractive..." :D"

Andreas you are funny :P
I'm sure that you would say that :D

American Black Chick in Europe said...

Sigh, Michael O'Leary...I think he did mean it as a joke, but that dude is weird. The day he talked about charging people to use the toilets on Ryan Air is the day I stopped flying Ryan Air...Easy Jet at least is a step up!

Sandra77 said...

Rather inappropriate joke for a CEO to make. He could be setting himself (and his company) up for some expensive discrimination claims. Pretty dumb. I hope his HR and PR people catch him up on this quickly - certain new Spanish laws and EU law could bit his butt real quick.

Anonymous said...

Why do people always want to relate race and hatred to every scenario. Honestly, it seems like he was just stating his preference, and I say this because he jokes about his wife. I don't see the connection with not wanting black women in his cabin crew.

If he doesn't find black women attractive, that should be fine. It doesn't necessarily mean that he's got a problem with black women.

We shouldn't equate preference with intolerance or hatred of a certain group.

CANDAY said...

@Anonymous:

If he doesn't prefer Black women, that would be fine with you. Not fine with the White B'woy. Got it?

BayouPeach said...

Andreas,

I just happened to stumble across this blog and I find it very.....refreshing. Thanks for doing what you do. Now on to the post at hand. From reading this comment and what I know about O'Leary, I would say that he was probably joking.