Thursday, October 15, 2009

The Black Woman in European Media

Got this interesting question the other day:

Are black women in Sweden or Europe in general portrayed better in the media than in the States (i.e. Hollywood, rap videos, etc.)? How so?

In some ways I would say yes, and in some way no.
First of all, Europe and specially Sweden are very inspired by The States in so many ways. From culture, music, movies, tv, food etc. And american TV series and movies are very common here, so in that way I would say it is the same as in U.S. And when it comes to music -  american hip-hop and r&b are very popular here too. In those ways I guess it's the same way as in the States. But in some ways we are looking at thos culture aspects in a not allways "dead-serious" way. So if the black woman are portrayed in one special "american" way, whe can see through it. But in many ways, the black woman often appear in media as a "victim" - like the vulnerable and exposed african woman.

But in many ways, the black woman are also shown in a way more positive way - though creativity for example. So it is no easy question to answer.

My fellow Europeans - fill me in! :)


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

From my experience living in Europe the last couple of years I can say that you see more black people in the media (tv) in the USA than here in Europe. In the USA you guys have black channel like BET that shows more black people on TV. I must admit that lately the quality of these programs is decreasing. Now you have shows like "Frankie and Naffe" that dont potray BW in a positive way. You also have this show "I love New York" that to my opinion potray a poor image of how BW realy are. I wish that in the USA there were more programs that potray the average normal BW.
In europe we dont have this kind of programs. The BW on TV (not that they are that much) are in general potray in more positive and elegant way. Most of the time these women are artist, ministers, models etc.


Andreas, did you get my last mail?


Rosi

Nanulak said...

Yeah I agree with this. Get the impression that the black woman is portrayed more positively here in EU countries than in US, but in both cases way too little! It's not only bad for black women but also for guys like us who are kinda snowblinded by the media right now and want to see something else!

Anonymous said...

Rosi, very good point!
I would like to see more shows uplifting black women.

MeelahJ said...

Ok. I'm from the U.S. I live in Chicago and for me its really annoying to see how we are portrayed here. I hate BET because it has shows like Frankie and Naffe that make black women look silly and ignorant. And Its really annoying. I'm not a fan of the media here in the U.S. Black women rarely get good press and we don't really get good roles in movies. Its honestly quite annoying